Whenever you create a new account in windows, you should create a Password Reset Disk that allows you to reset your windows account password if you forget it. If you have a lot of users and do not wish to create a reset disk for each one. then you should at least create one for the admin account on that PC. you can then use that Admin account to change any other user’s password. in order to create a password reset disk you need either a floppy disk or USB drive. As most PC are no longer sold with floppy drives, you may want to pick up a cheap flash drive to use for this purpose. As the Reset Disk file only uses file only uses 2KB of space, you can use any size of Flash drive
Warning : You Should store your password reset disk in a safe location as anyone can reset your windows password if they have access to it.
Before you can create a password reset disk you must first insert a USB flash drive into your computer. Once that is done, to create a password reset disk you need to open the Forgotten Password wizard. Please use the following steps for your particular version of Windows to start this wizard.
How To Create A Windows Password Reset Disk
- First Click on the Start button.
- Then open the control Panel.
- When the control panel opens, double-click on the User Account control panel. When the User Accounts control panel opens,
- Select a user name
- Click on the Prevent a Forgotten password option under the Related Tasks box.
Windows Vista & 7
- Click on the Start button.
- Type password reset .
- When the Create a password reset disk option appears in the search results, please click on it.
Windows Password Reset Disk in Windows 8 and Windows 10
- From the windows Start Screen type password reset.
- when the search results appear,
- Click on the settings category
- Then click on the Create a password reset disk option.
Command Line : you can also start the forgotten Password wizard using the following command line command.
If you have not already inserted a USB drive, you will be prompted to insert one and then start the program again. if you have a USB flash drive inserted, the Password wizard screen should now appear.
- Click on the Next button and you will be presented with a screen that asks you to select the drive letter associated with the Floppy or USB flash drive that you wish to use.
- Selected the media you wish to use and then click on the Next button. You will now be at a screen that prompts you to enter the current password for the account you are logged in as.
- Enter the password for the account you are currently log in with a then click on the next button.
- The forgotten Password wizard will now create the Userkey.psw file ad save it on the removable media that you selected. when it is done you will be presented with a screen that states that it is 100% complete.
- Click on the Next button.
- Your password reset disk has now been completed and you can click on the Finish button to close the wizard.