Google analytics is a must have tool to gain insights into how users are interacting with your website. Check out the Beginner’s guide to using google analytics for detailed information about gathering and reviewing your website stats. But before you learn how to use it, it need to be installed.Follow the Steps below to Setup Google Analytics For A Website.
Create a Google Account or Use an Existing one
If you have an existing Google or Gmail account already established, you do not need to create a new one and you can skip to the next step. If you do not have a Google Or Gmail Account, Follow the instructions below.
- Click on the following link to Create your Google account.
- Fill out all of the information in the form and then click Next step.
- Goolge will then ask you if you would like to create a public Google+ Profile. That is optional and you don’t have to set that up if you don’t want to.
Using your New Google Account to Setup Google Analytics
Now that you have a Google account established, we can move on the setting up Google Analytics.
- While you are still logged in to your account, go to this website Link
- Click on Access Google analytics in the top right corner and you will be redirected to a new page.
- Click on Sign on the right had side.
- For the purposes of this article, we are going to be setting up Google analytics for a website and not a mobile app. Therefore make sure that website is clicked at the top.
- fill out all of the information on this page.
- Account Name
- Website Name, website URL.
- industry category
- Reporting time Zone.
- Finally, click on the blue Get T raking ID button at the bottom.
- A Google Analytics Terms of Service Agreement will appear and you will need to accept this agreement before you can proceed further.
- You will then be presente be presented with a unique tracking code that will need to be applied to your website.
Installing the Tracking Code
in order for Google Analytics to be able to report back on a variety of website metrics, you will need to install the tracking code on every page of your website. To install the code, you basically need to have it appear on all pages of your website code.
if you do not have experience adding code to your website, you should contact the web design company that manages your website.
copy and paste the tracking code to either the header or footer file of your website.
if you are adding the tracking code to the header file, make sure the code is contained before the closing <head> tag.
if you are adding the tracking code to the footer file, make sure the code is contained before the closing </html> tag.
make sure the Tracking code is on all pages
now that you have installed the tracking code on all the pages on your website, it’s going to take 24 hours for Google to start collecting data from your website. please keep in mind that Google analytics will always be one day behind and you won’t be able to view data from the present day.